In Konkani cuisine, the staple food is rice and fish. We mostly eat sea water fish like pomfret, mackerel, surmai . We generally pan fry fish which is much healthier than deep frying it. I like fish as it is much lighter than other meat and tasty too if well cooked.
- Make a paste of 3-4 garlic pods, 2 tbsp red chilli powder, 1 tbsp tamarind paste, salt, a pinch of turmeric.
- This paste can be stored in the refrigerator and used for about a week
- Marinate the fish in this paste. Apply cuts to the fish and then marinate if using whole fish. This can be left for 15-20 mins for the fish to marinate well.
Here I have used Bangda (Mackerel) and Surmai (King Fish)
4. Heat a non stick pan. Roll the marinated fish in 3-4 tbsp of Sooji (Rawa) so that its entirely coated.
5. Add 1 tbsp oil on the tawa and then fry the fish. Turn the fish once the side looks golden brown. Fry the fish on a low flame till done.
Chop onions, add a pinch of salt and lemon juice and serve with the fish.
This dish goes very well with rice and Onion Tamboli or Simple Garlic Dal.
My mom marinates all the fish at one go and keeps it in the freezer and uses it within a week. That way the fish is marinated well and we get to eat fried fish every day. You can also use Rice powder or Rice Rawa instead of Sooji.